The Federal Clean Water Act classifies run-off within settlements over a certain size to be point sources of pollution.  This run-off, either as snow-melt or stormwater discharge from streets, sidewalks, houses, businesses parking lots and other impermeable surfaces is required to be regulated for pollutants.  These can include:

  • silts, salts and sands from construction sites and street applications
  • oils, and fats from businesses and homes
  • household pollutants like pesticides, animal waste, lawn clippings, leaf and tree debris
  • Sanitary sewer overflows from homes and municipal sewers
  • petrochemicals like tars, lubricants, and oils from streets and vehicles
  • household trash


The City of Okmulgee falls under the requirements of the Act and must maintain a discharge permit with the Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality.  This permit called an OKRO4, establishes several responsibilities for the city:

  • Conduct Dry weather screenings of stormwater outfalls throughout the City and its surroundings to detect potential pollution 
  • Establish ordinances and guidelines to encourage green space, proper stormwater management and low impact development
  • Establish best management practices (BMP's) that: 
    • Control construction site silt and trash run-off,
    • Educate the public about consequences of illegal dumping, pesticides, oil spills, yard debris etc to the local environment.
    • Encourage civic participation in clean-up efforts
    • Promote spill and leak mitigation at Municipal and Industrial sites.


Our quarterly newsletter is full of important information for our residents.  Be sure to check back each quarter for the current newsletter.

October-December 2020

January-March 2021

April-June 2021

July-September 2021

October-December 2021

Preventing Illegal Dumping

The Public Works Department is making an effort to clean up illegal dump sites around our City.  We need the help of our residents to combat this problem.  You are encouraged to report any information you have on illegal dumping.

Illegal Dumping Information

You can report illegal dumping to: 

  • Police Department 918-756-3511
  • Public Works Department 918-756-4159
  • Code Enforcement 918-756-4060

Illegal Dumpsites:

  • Site 1 Before and After

Site 1 Before Picture

Site 1 Before Picture

Site 1 After Picture

Site 1 After Picture

Please check back for more information.

useful links

Green Country Stormwater Alliance

Oklahoma Department of Environmental Quality